Corrected Solution (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 00:18 (2502 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Whenever a new expansion launched for Destiny, there is a mad scramble by some of you lunatics to rush-rush-rush to level up and do the Raid or whatever the end thing is. Frankly, I think that's boring and short sighted. You don't savor the content. Then you feel empty. If you have the time to do that, and you want to, more power to you. Most of us don't have that time. I am that 50% that didn't do the Raids. I only ever finished VoG and Crota.

The best, and most correct solution is to have the raid accessible at any light level, and launch immediately. Easy. Medium. Hard. Select the difficulty level appropriate to your light. Easy would be playable by basically anyone who has completed the story missions.

But wait… that just sounds a lot like the classic difficulty selection in video games that's been around for years. Oh exactly. Light level is a solution in search of a problem.

Why the simple solution of eliminating the need to grind to play the raid right away is not implemented is beyond me. Level gates are the problem.

The barrier to the raid should be challenge, not difficulty.

I'd offer one adjustment for that.

Assuming they keep the dual leveling (character level plus light level) the Raid should be accessible at some point AFTER launch, and accessible to characters who have reached max level (not max light), which you basically get from completing the story missions and strikes.

Take out the grind that comes after you've done every mission at least once (if not more), but haven't done enough grinding to reach a given arbitrary light level.

If you take out any level requirement and launch it with the game, then the raid becomes a game.

With only 50% of players doing the raid, I would not be surprised if Activision is asking Bungie if it is really worth the time they are spending on it-- hence the push for Guided Games to up that percentage.

If the raid was more accessible, lower light level, and had matchmaking, it might become the game, and Activision would say hey just make a few more raids, forget these story missions.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread