What? (Destiny)

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 08:27 (3557 days ago) @ kapowaz

Arguably yes, in relation to other RPGs/MMOs/etc. For some folks "level cap" means the character can't improve beyond that point and you're just casting about for better loot; that's not how it works in Destiny

But otherwise the standard MMO pattern of hitting the level cap and then focusing on improving your gear seems very much to be how Destiny's endgame will work. What have you read that seems to contradict that?

I played the beta. During it I rapidly hit the level 8 cap on two characters... but I still gained new powers, attributes, and other stuff afterward even discounting new gear. Upgrading my grenades and knives, new powers for the Golden Gun, all those little circles underneath the main level indicator kept filling up as I played and I'd unlock new abilities. I don't know if they're tied to XP or to actual play (knives get better the more you use knives, frex) but my character kept getting more powerful without the level progression bar budging a millimeter.

-- Steve thinks Bungie's not talking about the level cap because it's not so huge a deal in Destiny as it is in other MMOs. If anything, he'd like them to talk up the reasons why that's so... but it's heavy going to describe in box quotes.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread