Ok, Bungie: time to stop being evasive (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 08:53 (3529 days ago) @ kapowaz

To you, but not to me and I'd say it prevents the worse crime of overpromising, which Bungie has done in the past, and I suspect they have learned from the experience.

Good point: I know we promised that the level cap would be 30, but it's actually going to be 20…

[image]

Telling us something like the level cap will just prompt vigorous debate about whether it's high enough, with all debaters being equally clueless about what's it like to play this game at that level. It's not treating us like children to not tell us. It's treating us like adults who have a modicum of patience, adults who have a relationship with the developer and understand that when they say it's better to know less going in, they do know better than us. They want us to judge the game when we play it, not judge it based on a mental construct we create from information we cobble together and easily misconstrue. Especially with a new IP for a hybrid game that is similar but different from other games we know, the less said the better.

That's a rational basis for defending certain kinds of information-withholding, but I'm not sure it applies to everything. A debate about whether the level is high enough is utterly without foundation when we have no experience of what the game feels like at level 20. The main reason for wanting to know something as mechanical as that is in that you know how close you are to that number. I'd say it's akin to having a download progress bar or not; I don't think it's necessarily going to lead to premature judgements.

For the vast majority of those who care, I sincerely doubt the level cap will be unknown by the time they hit it, if there actually is a level cap. In the meantime, we've spared ourselves a bunch of useless speculation about what the level cap means for this game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread