Ok, Bungie: time to stop being evasive (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 08:35 (3557 days ago) @ kapowaz

Lack of details can lead us to anticipating more than will actually be delivered, but, I mean, I think that's our own fault. I don't remember seeing anything Bungie said regarding the Explore areas that wasn't delivered by Old Russia and the Moon. If you can point to something specific, ..?

Check out this IGN article from last year, specifically this paragraph:

He then walked away from the wall to Old Russia the demo would ultimately take place in, backpedaling towards a cliff's edge. Below was a vast valley with a river winding through it and though the audience's good-natured pleas to leap off the cliff fell on deaf ears, the point was not that Bakken didn't do it but that he could. He could've walked all along the wall to Old Russia if he wanted, or down through that valley and out to those mountains miles away. The breadth of gameplay space is staggering…

Okay, this wasn't somebody from Bungie saying this, but it seems astonishing that they'd sanction somebody implying that the game had this scope when it manifestly doesn't. In the absence of information to the contrary, Bungie let the fiction that we'd be exploring massive, open areas take root, only for us to be disappointed when we discovered the truth.

That's actually a great example, but yeah, didn't come from somebody from Bungie.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread