Want vs Need (Destiny)

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 09:23 (3557 days ago) @ kapowaz

The primary goal of Bungie's messaging is making sure that people easily know and understand that:

Anything beyond that is for the super fans. (By virtue of being here and reading this, that's you.)

I don't see why anyone would need to know what the level cap is before playing; it didn't bother me that the level cap was ambiguous going into the beta. I'm sure within an hour of the game coming out, there will be information on the internet about the level cap. Personally, I will try my best to avoid any discussion until I have finished the at-launch story missions and maybe even all the at-launch strikes.

In this thread there have been some examples of mixed messages: Raid/Raids, Dinklage/unconfirmed (although that may very well have been due to some contractual agreement about using his name, not that they were trying to hide/obscure it). These examples show that even simple concepts can easily become ensnared in confusion, arguments, and outright misinformation ($500 million, anyone?). Thanks to the internet echo chamber, some things do get repeated ad nauseam, but it's hard to predict which bit of information will spiral out over the web in that way.

Bungie wants to keep their message simple, appealing, and easily accessible. They've said time and again they want to leave things for the player to find, to keep things mysterious.

The game itself is both complex enough that it's hard to explain, and has a straightforward, gestalt nature that is easily understandable when someone actually plays it.

I'm not trying to be combative, but some of your (kap) posts on these topics come across as entitled. I guess I just want to say: You want this information, but you don't need it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread