The Cargo Cult of Game Mechanics (Destiny)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 08:28 (3402 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

It seems to me like Bungie was trying to mitigate this effect by how they designed their team to work. By using "postcards" to describe the feel of each area of the game from an artwork perspective I think they managed to make each area a complete area without feeling like it was designed by a bunch of independent people. I think this worked for the shooting aspect of the Gameplay as well. Since everybody knew they wanted the shooting to feel like a "Bungie Shooter" that helped to give the entire team a direction.

Unfortunately I don't think that works for Story. Story is one of those things that I don't think you can give good "postcards" for. It seems like you really just need one person in charge of the story with other people there to help provide ideas and additional perspectives to flush out the details. My understanding is that even with books, usually just one author writes the book. Usually in a two-author situation there is still really just one main author.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread