On Subjectivity (Destiny)

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 18:38 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Should I stop playing Dungeons & Dragons because I can imagine someone could run a campaign or play a character better than I?

In a sense. I would try to seek out the best DM you can find. You'd have to admit the experience is better with a good DM than with a bad one. I would definitely refuse to play with someone who is unimaginative.

I and my group were having fun when I DMed. I was nowhere near the best DM imaginable. I would say I was good, because it was fun, and the purpose was mainly just having fun. We might have had less fun with a better DM, because of a relative lack of camaraderie, or them wanting to run a campaign that wasn't as much to the players' liking. But if I was good because it was fun, and they were agreed to be a better DM because of experience, imagination, and storytelling acumen, which are agreed upon good qualities of DMs, but less fun was had because I was a better fit for the group, what's up with that?

The perceived quality of a DM is partly dependent on the players involved, too.

The perceived quality of a game is, I would say, similarly partly dependent on the player(s) of it.

Does any quality but the perceived quality matter? Can one truly judge something with no input from the way they perceive it?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread