The Cargo Cult of Game Mechanics (Destiny)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 18:07 (3402 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I loved Faster Than Light. I played Super Meat Boy for hours. I find Cortex Command to be demeaningly enjoyable. But I don't think you and I are finding common ground here because I think you want things from this industry that I don't. I also don't think you'll change your mind or entertain other lines of thought.

None of those games are even close to the peak of their respective genres, nor did they drive anything industry wide. You can love them, but there are many NON indie offerings that are BETTER, and often significantly so.

I can't help but feel like you missed the point of the article because you can't understand the perspective of the author. Whether you want to or not is the point.

I also don't think anyone agrees with you here because nobody here thinks of games strictly as an immersive artform seeking some pinnacle experience. Maybe that's the point of vidya or maybe it isn't, but perspectively, I feel a lot happier in my world.

Subjectivity is all you'll find here, brother.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread