The story is just a bunch of one-liners and cliches (Destiny)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 08:41 (3402 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Unfortunately I don't think that works for Story. Story is one of those things that I don't think you can give good "postcards" for. It seems like you really just need one person in charge of the story with other people there to help provide ideas and additional perspectives to flush out the details. My understanding is that even with books, usually just one author writes the book. Usually in a two-author situation there is still really just one main author.

Generally the more authorial voices you add, the more likely the one good writer you have will be drowned out, if you have one good writer in a team (if you're lucky; there aren't many good writers out there). The more voices you add means the less voice the good writer gets.

Destiny's story lacks focus, and feels cobbled together. Probably because the strong voice that was guiding it, and trying to focus the committee, left the project a year before release. The committee then put together a bunch of cliches because a group of writers usually just try to hit every ball out of the park, and end up with a bunch of one-liners and cliches.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread