The Cargo Cult of Game Mechanics (Destiny)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:39 (3402 days ago) @ Cody Miller

(the original article that started this discussion actually argued somewhat convincingly that the limitations of older tech were actually good for game design, not bad) but I suppose that's a point of view you could take if you are really blown away by things like good volumetric lighting.

Deus Ex is a monster of a game, unequalled to this day. But it had bad graphics even at the time. Bad AI. No convincing lip sync, etc. Can you imagine if the game was as it was, but those limitations lifted? It'd be better. It'd be more immersive.

Saying limitations improve game design is like saying that if you only have one color you'd be a better painter.

Well, all of the paintings we find valuable today were painted years ago. You seem to be looking to immersion through better graphics as the way to build better game experiences, whereas the author was arguing it only leads to better presentation while experience has been ignored. Picasso painted Guernica with one color.

I'm not really making a coherent point I just don't think you thought yours through.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread