I don't get what you are mad it. This was OBVIOUS from day 1 (Destiny)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 18:43 (3330 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Of course they want you to keep playing their game.

That's the way they can continue to make money.

Making more money allows them to make more game(s).

There isn't anything insidious about it. It's not like they're sitting in a dark room, twirling their mustaches trying to get you hooked with malicious intent.

It comes down to the individual, and ultimately what they like. I hesitate to say there is a "wrong" way to play Destiny, but it is obvious that it is designed to give the player incentive to play a little bit everyday. How is it doing this?

*Daily heroic mission
*Refreshing bounties
*Various economies to upgrade armor and guns
*Factions and reputation
*Caps on what you can earn

^^^These aren't BAD things, but that last one is important. Players that play Destiny everyday for 8 hours or more and are running 3 different characters, chasing intangible rewards that are decided by RANDOM chance 95% of the time, are going to have a bad time. Destiny isn't meant to be played like that, unless you're addicted.

The ideal way to play is of course for fun, and enjoyment, but a little bit at a time. If you gorge yourself on Destiny, it sucks as a video game.

It's an empty snack.

It's like eating a whole bag of potato chips, and then loathing yourself after.

Moderation.

Say it with me again: moderation.

I feel like, you've kinda had a moment where you realized "GUYS, We're rats! In a maze! What are they doing!?" and you feel like you're being taken advantage of.

Your not. That is, if you can convince yourself to put the controller down when there isn't anything for you to do, or you aren't having fun.

For me, Destiny is a console version of a mobile game. So I don't play it often unless I have nothing better to do.

^^That's not a criticism on the game- merely me acknowledging the game, telling it that I know what it is, and it isn't going to fool me into something....idk. Basically, I know when to say "I'm done, for today".

The key for me, is knowing what Destiny is trying to get me to do, how it is trying to suck me in (in a good way, with Raids and friends) and in bad ways (with material\level grinding, bad story telling, promises of more content that leave me....wanting).

So lately I've been playing Bloodborne and things on the Wii U, and I'm having a great time. I hop on Destiny once, maybe twice a week, play the weekly stuff with friends, and then leave. Sure, when HoW is out, I'll play the hell out of it for a few weeks, but then I'll be done. Other fun to be had elsewhere.

I'm not trying to pick on you, but all I want to say to your post is:

DUH!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread