But I do (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:40 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Yes of course everything you do affects your brain. But certain items directly change your brain and how it functions in the future, i.e.: changing the pathways your brain takes. They purposely chose to alter your brain, if they did that through unwanted surgery you would be angry, but here you are not?

You missed his point. He took issue with your claim that 'Destiny changes your brain' - because either that change is trivial (in the sense that EVERYTHING YOU DO changes your brain - the changes that Destiny makes are the same kind of changes that riding a roller-coaster makes - or because you're mistaken (if you're thinking that there are brain changes happening when you play Destiny that are DIFFERENT or more radical than the changes that occur when you play ANY game, or, well, do pretty much anything). Destiny is not some sort of cult-like modifier - it won't make you turn on your family or quit your job. It's a game. And for the vast majority of the human race, it's pretty much like any other game out there - it triggers certain pleasure points in our brains and makes us want to keep playing it. (Just about any good game - INCLUDING HALO - does exactly the same thing.)

Yes, for some people, those triggers are a cause for concern - those are the same people that might have trouble with alcohol, or drugs, or gambling. Destiny doesn't turn us into addicts, though - if we have that tendency and play it, we might have more trouble than other people putting it down, but if we don't have that tendency, Destiny won't INDUCE it.

I'm pretty confused by why this is news to you, actually.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread