Your loss. You're getting robbed at every corner anyway. (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 21:33 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Dude I understand how advertising and all that stuff works. The difference is I can actively choose to ignore it. The difference is this is NOT advertising. This is after you took in that advertising and are consuming.

I think your hard definitions of advertising and consumption might be what's causing you surprise. You've defined 'advertising' as the parts with the brain-gimmicks, but hooking in your audience continues well into the 'consumption' of a product or piece of entertainment. Flash Gordon to classic Doctor Who to Lost (and a billion other serials) constantly ended on cliffhangers to excite you and to entice you to return. Action figures are rolled out in specific sets to try and convince you to collect them all. Video games are sometimes designed to make you keep playing or keep returning to the game. Hell, Pokemon did all of those! Their tag line was even "Gotta catch them all", hah.

And of course, there's also subliminal advertising hidden within the 'consumption'.

[image]

The GIJoe: A Real American Hero cartoon would showcase new vehicles coming out for the toyline just like James Bond features cars, computers, and more in every movie - products with the label able to be seen in the peripheral, products that just happen to come from the movie's licencing partners and investors, etc.

[image]

Advertising, marketing, entertainment... the same approaches and techniques are sometimes applied to each element. The commercial draws you in, then the product makes you want more. The cycle repeats and you're not always aware of it. So if you don't like what Destiny's trying to do to your brain now that it has been pointed out to you by Bungie themselves, you can actively choose to stop playing it. But just think about all the other billions of things in this world affecting your brain and swaying your decisions that you're not aware of... It's hard to always be in control of your brain. Sorry I can't talk more, hungry for pizza and Daniel Craig for some reason.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread