You clearly don't get my point (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 20:22 (3327 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I don't feel like I play more than I want to, if that's what you were getting at.

That, right there, is the key to this entire argument.

Are any of us playing more than we want to?

I don't mean to sound callous, but if anyone answers that question with "yes", I would say "that's your own fault".

Yes, Destiny clearly has hooks in place designed to keep players coming back. Big surprise. Forget about beer & cigarette commercials... The entertainment industry has been "manipulating" consumers for decades. Every cliffhanger ending, celebrity guest appearance, crossover special, heck even "sequels", are all designed to manipulate is into watching/playing/reading something we might otherwise skip. Videogames have taken things to another level, but can we blame developers? We're the ones demanding more time from their games.

At the end of the day, every minute we spend playing Destiny is a conscious choice. We need to take responsibility for how we spend our time. I see Destiny's manipulative hooks, and concede that they work on my (just hit 565 hours). But I find the hooks FUN. I'm genuinely enjoying myself.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread