I'm inclined to disagree (Destiny)

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 10:05 (3219 days ago) @ Funkmon

First off, a caveat: I absolutely agree with "Use what you enjoy using". If you like a gun don't just get rid of it because someone says it's bad. Hell, don't get rid of it even if it is bad, so long as you enjoy using it.

But obviously this wouldn't be for those people. This would be for people feeling overwhelmed by choice and looking for advice, because while you're right in saying no gun is "too bad to use", some are definitely better than others. I have a collection of guns I keep because I like the way they feel, but I also don't use those guns in Trials or against Skolas, because losing isn't fun.

An example: A high RoF/Low Impact LMG like The Culling or Sawtooth Oscillator with Increased Stability, Feeding Frenzy and Rodeo/Persistence is objectively better than the same gun with Take a Knee, Who's Next? and Small Bore. A lot of Destiny is subject to personal opinion and playstyle, but there's no situation where having less stability, slower reloads and a potentially smaller magazine is better on that particular archetype.

Another example: A pulse Rifle with Secret Round and Outlaw is a pretty nice roll for PvE, but if you want a PvP Pulse Rifle I'd always suggest Headseeker instead of SecretRound, just because PvP is a different king of gameplay where sustained DpS isn't as important.

Optimal Shotgun rolls are very different between Pve and PvP too. We all know to stack range and Impaact in PvP, but did you know a high RoF Full Auto shotgun can out-DpS Gjallarhorn in PvE? Crazy! Invective is a good choice, but you can totally roll a non-exotic to have Full Auto and an even larger magazine for even more dakka.

Just some examples to say that, essentially, play with what you enjoy (I love Invective in PvP), but if you want an edge, there are definitely some things that you should be looking out for more than others.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread