Star Wars: The Last Jedi *SPOILERS* (Off-Topic)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, December 17, 2017, 12:34 (2326 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's just not Starwars

That's literally what people said about ESB when it came out. This movie is definitely Star Wars. On a thematic level, it's completely true to the Saga, and a much needed correction from Force Awakens.

I agree the elements are there, but it's more then that. It's about how it is all put together. I've never done a fan edit before, but I just might give it a try with this movie.

I'm curious. Can you elaborate on that? I honestly don't think a fan edit can make this film better in any significant way in terms of larger dramatic structure.

I'm not sure I can adequately, but I'll give it a shot. So... it's well established at this point that the structure of Starwars is the classic heroes journey. Thus it needs to be abundantly clear to the audience the W's (and how) of a before and after of the journey. While there is forgiveness in this, if there is not a direct focus on those aspects, and they are glazed over as some sort of side effect, then the Starwars story becomes watered down.

In this one, it felt particularly watered down, but not because necessarily it lacked the hero's journey, but because it rarely seemed to focus on it. This movie seems too into its blatant attempts of "Oh-Ha-HA! Got Cha!", and as a result the feel of the whole is disjointed. Yet I don't know if it's the edit or what, and thus I'm curious how it would feel if I edited it to minimize this effect, which ONLY TRULY WORKS ONCE, if it would improve how this movie feels to me.

- But wait there's more! -

You recently in this thread mentioned to Vortech that his thoughts on the the lack of character development are wrong, and that may be. But, if the story did it's job right, the STARWARS story, it wouldn't have been so easy to make such a conclusion. There should not be that grey. Again, I attribute that to the edit.

It feels like they should have cut short the Rose/Poe Storyline, which I should add seems to be an almost universal agreement among fan reviews, and elaborated more on what happened at Lukes School. We see only the results and why, but not how it got to such a point. Endings only earn their payoff, it is not given. Even then with what if given, the way it was presented felt muddy to me. Of course... I couldn't completely do it proper and fix it all with an edit. The little I could to would require to get clever and use footage from The Force Awakens, the relevant deleted scene(s) if any and have some voice in the background. If only they chose to take the time and SHOW not TELL. THAT should have been a MAIN story point. It's SO frustrating that the Director or whoever said "Let's focus on this new Rose character suddenly falling in love with Poe during a mostly pointless adventure and not LUKE SKYWALKER AND BEN SOLO! No one want's to hear THAT story and we hate money."

GAAAA!!!!

[image]

...I digress...

I've seen alot of talk about how the movie was better in the second viewing, and so, maybe it'll take another viewing for me to really flesh-out my middling reservations about this movie. And yet.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread