This. (Off-Topic)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 11:03 (2324 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm not usually the most cynical person in the room, but to me it all feels calculated to achieve an effect, I don't know what the purpose of Star Wars is anymore. It doesn't seem to be to crib from Joseph Campbell's "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" and create something new out of these disparate influences. The faces have changed, but what is new about it? Nearly nothing as far as I can see.

I… am not sure how to respond because for me the purpose was so utterly clear I am somewhat shocked you can say that.

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to".

This whole movie is about letting go of our idolization of the old heroes, and bringing up a new generation and fostering goodness. Making us get over the very idea of a hero. Maybe we looked up to Luke a little too much. Maybe the mythology was self indulgent. Maybe we fetishize the past instead of focusing on the future. It's like, the perfect message for a generation who said that Lucas killed their childhood.

It's not giving you what you want, but what you need.

This is deep man. There are so many complaints about this movie that could be met with "You're still holding on! Let the past go!"

I appreciate this observation.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread