Can someone explain? - Star Wars: The Last Jedi *SPOILERS* (Off-Topic)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, December 18, 2017, 06:48 (2325 days ago) @ Funkmon

Yep. I agree. While I think the Palpatine Defense is a pretty strong one, The Last Jedi isn't the 3rd movie of a groundbreaking, never-before-seen series. With Palpatine, he was "the Evil Emperor" and he was evil and he was emperor-y. And he had an awesome actor. And, really, he felt like he was just the ultimate bad guy of the universe. Sure, he probably had some backstory, but it wasn't super important. He was here, now, and that was that.

With Snoke, he doesn't exist in the partial vacuum that Palpatine did. If TFA and TLJ were set in a different time period in Star Wars, having Snoke be unexplained would be closer to fine. It would be something of a fresh start just like Star Wars IV, V, and VI were. But no. Instead TFA and TLJ are directly connected to the previous movies. Via ships and characters and so on. With the way things are the natural question is "ok... where was Snoke while the Empire was doing its thing."

Even more of a question, given that Luke said Ben had been influenced by Snoke before the fateful turning point, is how Ben knew Snoke. And, so far that too is unanswered which I think is more than a match for the Palpatine Defense. That needs to be answered somewhere at some point.

That, and doing Snoke as the big scary hologram to start off with kinda set some expectations. I really liked him more as the clever, powerful, red room guy.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread