I slept through parts of it. (No real *SP*) (Off-Topic)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, December 18, 2017, 16:39 (2325 days ago) @ Claude Errera

To be fair, I was sick, and I was super-tired from getting almost no sleep for the previous 2 nights, and the theater we saw it in had the most ridiculously comfortable seats I've ever used in a movie theater (every seat was a cushy electric recliner, fergoshsakes!)... but honestly, there were plenty of eye-rolling moments that just pulled me out of the immersion that these things usually provide for me.

I mean, it was a fine movie. Fun action scenes, a discernable (if a little hole-y) plot, decent action. I don't for a minute feel like I wasted my money, and I don't feel like it's a stain on the Star Wars franchise.

But neither is it the pinnacle of that franchise, and its parallels to ESB were not as point-for-point as the ones between TFW and ANH. (That might be a good thing, by itself - but clearly this trilogy was set up to echo that one, and in that sense, it did a less-good job of it, for me, than its predecessor.)

Eh. It saddens me to think that I've stopped caring enough about Star Wars that the whole internet kerfluffle about this episode is irrelevant to me. :(

I feel like I could've written this post, especially the last sentence. :(

A decent movie, but there are so many better, like, say, Serenity.

So much of it seemed to be fan service, pretty superficial, an attempt to perform old tricks for a new audience. I could never turn my analytical mind off, asking questions like "Wonder how many cartons of cigarettes it took for Carrie's voice to sound like that? Where the hell did Luke get Grecian formula on that island?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread