I quite liked it. (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, December 18, 2017, 21:17 (2325 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I'm still processing, but I really enjoyed it. I'll definitely go see it again once more while it's in theaters, which is something I very rarely do.

Like Cody, I do think it was sort of a messy movie. It was . . . odd, I guess. I don't know exactly how to describe it. I don't watch movies very analytically, and I know nothing about the process of making or editing films. My only judgment of any movie's quality is "Did I enjoy it?"

The answer to that is an emphatic "Yes!"

For me, it's a movie that was greater than the sum of its parts, but also, a lot of its parts were incredible. So many incredible scenes, and beautiful shots. Rey and Kylo taking out Snoke's honor guard was great, the hyperspace jump through the flagship, the scene where Kylo Ren slices through Luke, with the immediate cut to his boot sliding on the salt, revealing the red beneath, the scene with Rey(s) in the cave. Just a beautiful film.

I found a lot of the jokes really hit, but I don't think they'll hold up well. A lot of them are a bit too *wink wink, nudge nudge*, I think. They definitely play well to an excited theater audience, but I feel like they might stand out a bit too much on repeated viewings. I think the same can be said for Kylo talking to Rey about her parents--that seemed directed explicitly at the fans moreso than Rey, and I straight up didn't like that moment.

I do appreciate that they made damn sure to show Leia and Chewie hugging at the end, after the internet lost its mind when it didn't happen in the last movie.

Overall, I quite enjoyed it. I can understand folks that don't like it, but it really hits for me.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread