This. (Off-Topic)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 08:39 (2325 days ago) @ Kermit

It's easy to begin to feel like Star Wars has become a collection of metas that have little to do with telling a compelling story. The cute creature meta (for merchandising). The big star cameo meta (for the celebrity obsessed). The callback meta. The easter egg meta. The space battle meta (with its predictable beats). The last-minute rescue meta. The loose string meta (to enable more movies forever). I'm not usually the most cynical person in the room, but to me it all feels calculated to achieve an effect, I don't know what the purpose of Star Wars is anymore. It doesn't seem to be to crib from Joseph Campbell's "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" and create something new out of these disparate influences. The faces have changed, but what is new about it? Nearly nothing as far as I can see.

So, it's weird, I completely agree with what you said here. But, I still enjoyed watching it, and I want to watch it again.

As far as chocolate chip cookies go it was very typical, certainly nothing exceptional, in fact I caught a hint of shortening, but it still tasted good and I want another.

I might feel differently about it if I got chocolate chip cookies every day like we do Marvel movies... They'll still taste good, but I probably wouldn't want seconds.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread