Chris Barrett on state of loot, Eververse, vault space: (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Saturday, December 23, 2017, 14:03 (2377 days ago) @ Claude Errera

The most difficult activities should be the most rewarding.

I hope this doesn't mean a return to the D1 plan of "he who doesn't need better loot gets it anyway." By 'most rewarding' they should be saying "gets awesome ornaments, or the same guns but with sweeter artwork, or a sparrow that shoots rainbows out the back, or any other number of awesome things that do not simply make people who have no need for additional power even more powerful than those who aren't as good at the game or don't have as much time to play it.

They're already doing that - and the community has said they don't care.

The Prestige Raid earns you armor variants/ornaments that you can't earn anywhere else (but aren't more powerful than what you can earn in the regular raid). Almost nobody earns them, and I can't tell you how many groups I've played in who've skipped the Prestige because 'you don't get anything for it'.

You might think it's the best way to reward players - but there are plenty of Destiny players who think you're dead wrong.

At issue is whether or not the prestige rewards are actually prestigious. I know plenty of people, myself included, who Did the Black Spindle quest repeatedly hoping for that ship, or did hard mode for the king's fall ship, or who prided themselves on their collections of Lighthouse ornaments from Trials of Osiris.

The fact of the matter is that the shaders from prestige mode are essentially the same as the normal raid shader, just with the colors rearranged. They look so similar that I couldn't tell you if someone was wearing normal mode or prestige mode shaders. Which means there is no associated prestige. And I've actually never seen the ornaments for the armor... not even once. In my case, prestige aside, I didn't care when the raid came out because that armor was garbage for hunters and I also didn't like looking like a WW1 gas mask guy. Now that I've switched to warlock, not enough of my raid crew even plays Destiny for me to be able to go back into the raid. We've run the raid lair exactly once, and didn't quite finish. Haven't been able to muster a team of 6 since.

At this point the struggle for raid loot is simply getting enough people who actually want to play this game online at the same time.

But that's really beside the point. Bungie knows how to make cool looking loot, but instead of rewarding players with it for in-game achievements, it's all put into the eververse store. Glowhoo was great. Calus' other shader with the same colors as the not prestige mode shader is not.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread