Chris Barrett on state of loot, Eververse, vault space: (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Sunday, December 24, 2017, 02:24 (2367 days ago) @ Claude Errera

The fact of the matter is that the shaders from prestige mode are essentially the same as the normal raid shader, just with the colors rearranged. They look so similar that I couldn't tell you if someone was wearing normal mode or prestige mode shaders. Which means there is no associated prestige. And I've actually never seen the ornaments for the armor... not even once.

Um... Okay. I guess I was under the impression (from places like light.gg) that there's an entirely different set of Prestige armor, not just shaders. I mean, I guess the Mask of Rull LOOKS LIKE the Helm of the Emperor's Champion... but it's not the same helmet.

That's what I meant. If I look at you (without inspecting you), right now you don't look special at all (so why would I bother inspecting you?). In D1, at least you had a sweet shader that grabbed the eye, but the current prestige shader is only marginally different, in that the colors are in a different order from the non-prestige shader.

But hey, if you wanna say that since one is just a reskin of the other, that it's just a shader difference... okay. I'm not really sure, though, that if you go that route, that you can really argue that 'most rewarding' should mean 'same but with sweeter artwork', because that's exactly what the Prestige armor looks like, at least to me.

I am arguing that "most rewarding" should mean "same but with sweeter artwork." Hell, it could even mean "totally shitty gear that is only good for memes and trolling, but that looks AMAZING and everyone will know you are a bamf simply by virtue of you having it. Maybe give people a permanent aura for completing the prestige mode raid. For example. If you think the prestige armor really looks that significantly sweeter than the normal armor right now, well, I guess they did it right then. I happen to think it looks far too similar.

This problem is that right now I can't tell if someone has a prestige thing or not because there are fifty billion shaders and everything from the raid is both the same model and the same color palette.

When I say "same but with sweeter artwork" I mean like how the trials gear got all glowy holograms around it when you added the ornaments. That's prestigious! Literally the same model with a built in shader that is literally the same colors just in a different order, and which is also a shader that you can get from just doing the first chest in the prestige mode and then apply to the old raid armor to make it look *exactly* like the default prestige armor is not prestigious.

This is all just my opinion. At the end of the day, prestige mode should be about challenging yourself and having fun, and should not be about getting better (or even just different) loot. I also firmly believe that the hardest things in the game should not give people who complete them better gear. D1 vanilla pvp suffered greatly from the best pvp weapons by and large coming only from the raid. It sucked that if you wanted to compete at the highest tier of pvp, you had to raid endlessly to try to get the right weapons.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread