Hardest activities should give best rewards. (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Sunday, December 24, 2017, 16:40 (2367 days ago) @ narcogen

This is just my dumb logic, so it probably doesn’t even make sense.

You give weapons that make the raid easier to people who’ve beaten the raid in order to make them feel more powerful. Since we don’t actually get stronger (lol light levels), the only way to make it seem that way is with better weapons. Using a Black Hammer to melt Sexy Prime during a heroic strike made it feel like my guardian was strong enough to watch Zero kill Crota.

While I agree that it sucks for people who can’t run the raid for various reasons, they’ve already changed that slightly in this game by introducing clan engrams. Once a week you get a chance at a cool raid weapon just because Chappy had already killed the guy 6x before you logged in on Thursday.

I’m just wanting a reason for me specifically to run endgame content and I only care about weapons. I’m sure shaders/armor matter a lot to lots of other people but I’m extremely selfish.

In a strictly pve game, that would be fine, but since you take your gear into pvp in this game as well, the result of locking the best weapons behind the hardest content effectively locks top tier pvp behind the prestige raid. That sucks balls.

How often is the best PVE weaponry good, let alone best, for PVP as well?

Stuff like the raid-specific perks would seem to eliminate this. Almost as if Bungie knew that and designed vanilla Destiny with that in mind. Not counting the original Mythoclast, of course...

Vanilla Destiny was the worst. The shotgun (Found Verdict, I think?) had the highest range in the game until the super broken IB shotgun more than 6 months later. The sniper was the best sniper rifle in the game for pvp for a very long time as well, due to high stability, a 6 round mag, and perfect scope selection. Mythoclast was broken, period.

As for how often, throughout all of Destiny, the best gear has been raid loot is debatable. It certainly was at the start of the game, as I mentioned above. It tempered as the meta became all about hand cannons, and Thorn and Hawkmoon took over. Then the shotgun and snipers meta rose again, and while the best shotguns were clearly pvp RNG guns (PC+1, for example), the KF sniper was exceedingly common as a top tier roll that, while not as good as the vanguard sniper (longbow) potentially was, KF was far easier to get than a perfect roll Longbow. As for heavies, Qullim's Terminus was one of the best heavy weapons in the game, and the only reason to not use it was if you wanted to use that exotic rocket with tracking and grenades and horseshoes (I forget the name, but you all know the one I mean). At the end of the D1 lifecycle, pvp vendor rolls became nearly perfect, which put the game in a much better place as far as I'm concerned.

As for D2, the guns are all marginally blah, so it's hard to say. The best primary is either MIDA or Nameless Midnight, the best secondary is Uriel's gift bar none, and the best heavy is the raid rocket launcher. But those being "best" is only by very thin margins or other, similar guns, and you can have success with many different loadouts because, frankly, nothing stands out as particularly effective. The current meta is more about teamshooting than it is about having the right gear.

Anyway, I don't really think the current setup is awful, but the statement that prestige mode should reward "better gear" is concerning to me that the plan for the future is to gate away pvp best in slot gear behind very hard raids. It's hard for a dedicated 4v4 pvp team to find 2 others to do a 6 player raid at a high level.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread