Where’s the Criticism tag when you need it? (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 06, 2018, 22:29 (2268 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Sorry dudes, I won't celebrate some shitty guy and his company that overworks its employees and fires them for trying to unionize so they don't have working conditions that send literally hundreds of people to the hospital.

So that’s what this is actually about?! Even if you are 100% accurate on this one issue (and that’s doubtful in the extreme) it in no way justifies your rant about this awesome rocket launch.

Of course that's what this is about. I don't actually give a shit about Elon Musk personally. I don't have some vendetta against him.

There are multiple stories about how poorly factory workers at Tesla are treated. They're not hard to find.

http://www.businessinsider.com/uaw-tesla-complaint-fire-workers-union-2017-10

https://www.thedailybeast.com/workers-say-tesla-is-trying-to-scare-them-out-of-a-union

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/18/tesla-workers-factory-conditions-elon-musk

This wasn’t a Tesla stunt, this was the result of years of hard word for the people at SpaceX. This was a major accomplishment that could be the jumping off point to a ton more space exploration and science. Remember, the last time a rocket this powerful launched was over 50 years ago! What SpaceX has done over the past few years, making more launches than any other company or nation on the planet and reducing the cost per launch by half or more vs other existing rockets is stunning.

That launch itself and what that means is absolutely cool, and we should absolutely celebrate the team that made it happen and their accomplishments. But putting a Tesla on it and then strapping cameras all over that put that Tesla front and center while flying through fucking space makes it a Tesla stunt. I literally can not read it any other way. He could have put anything in it, he chose a Tesla and that's a statement.

Yes, by all means punish anyone treating workers badly. But to say all the inaccurate, hateful things you said are just plain shitty. You weren’t being a bummer. You were being an asshole.

Your bullshit sanctimonious attitude makes me angry, even though I should be used to it by now.

Your damn right you should be used to me calling people out when they are wrong.

These things are called opinions. You should learn that. Saying I'm wrong for not liking corporate bullshit is frankly pretty insulting.

What did I say that was inaccurate, beside the one thing you already pointed out that just about everyone for the past few years was also wrong about?

I think this launch is absolutely incredible. But I don't see how putting a Tesla in it is anything but shilling for his other company, and that company sucks. I won't laugh and smile and celebrate that like everyone else wants to. I can applaud the launch itself and recognize its significance while also lamenting the shitty corporate capitalistic opportunism of using a Tesla as a payload.

This isn't fun, it's putting some corporate bullshit into space and asking everyone else to laugh and play along, and I won't buy into it. If you want to, fine. I won't begrudge it. But I also won't just sit here and basically let you call me an idiot for not agreeing with you.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread