My point: (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 14:08 (2240 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by cheapLEY, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 14:16

I don't believe in the myth of the finite pie, which is what underlies the "there must be poor for there to be rich" argument.

That’s definitely a conversation worth having. I won’t pretend like I understand everything about capitalism and our economy. I won’t sit here and tell you I’m right and you’re wrong. I do believe, however, that our system rewards chasing profits at basically any cost, and the human element gets lost, exploited, abused in the quest for those profits.

Your last sentence reminds me of a thought I had when I first saw the shots of the car. You probably could not come up with anything a ten-year-old would think is any cooler than that. And that ten year old will probably be the first person on Mars.

I can completely see that, and even celebrate it. If that’s what it takes to inspire the next generation, then so be it. I still lament space and science of space becoming the playspace of Brands™. I understand that ultimately it will be a good thing. We’ll probably progress by leaps and bounds once multiple companies really get there. I just feel like we need to recognize the human cost that could lead to. Some companies only treat their workers as good as they have to and only because they have to, adding spaceflight to that equation in the not too distant future genuinely scares me.

But now I’m just repeating myself, I suppose.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread