The real bummer (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 06, 2018, 22:38 (2242 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I absolutely want to change it.

Cut the military spending budget in half and give the difference to NASA. That'd be great. Let's go to Mars in the name of humanity rather than in the name of Tesla.

You are so wrongly caught up on Tesla when it was the least important of the awesome things that happened to day in space flight.

As I said, I think what SpaceX is doing is ultimately great. I recognize that, at the end of the day, corporate interests will get more done for space exploration than the government will. I don't have to like that, though, and I definitely don't have to like Musk shilling his other corporate interests while doing it.

You don’t like getting space exploration done? Ok... that’s an interesting position.

You all can look down on me and laugh and think I'm being silly and getting worked up over a small little detail. Maybe that's true. It still bothers me. It's still some rich asshole sending a billboard for his company into space, and that sucks just on principle. It's not cute or fun. At the end of the day, it's his rocket and he can do whatever the hell he wants with it, but I'm not going to celebrate it.

You don’t have to support something or someone 100%. You can be excited or proud for a major milestone in rocketry and still be against bad labor practices. But doing it in the way you did? It just makes you look like an asshole who is arguing against legitimate accomplishment and progress. If you want to get your points across you’ll want to cut out the extremism and state them clearly without jumping in to shit on something that a good many people were rightly enthusiastic about.

My initial post was actually pretty respectful until you and Cyber jumped in and basically told me I was an idiot and I should fuck off. Get off your fucking high horse dude. Does the world look cool from up there in clouds where you apparently live?

It's not only naive, but also borderline irresponsible to not look at the negative side and to only celebrate the actual launch.

Call it hyperbole if you want, but how long is it now before those poorly treated Tesla workers get to go to space to get treated just as poorly while doing even more dangerous work? It's probably not that far off, especially now that capitalism has entered the space race. Don't pretend it won't happen.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread