Where’s the Criticism tag when you need it? (Off-Topic)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 08:31 (2263 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yeah, there’s certainly an interesting discussion to be had there on many fronts. One thing I’d totally bring up is how come it sometimes seems like the people who are the most innovative and revolutionary are also bad at respecting the people under them. Like, Steve Jobs revolutionized the computer and phone and digital music industries... but it is pretty universally accepted that he could be a total jerk.

I'm not saying this as a defense for the mistreatment or abuse of anyone, but I think it's because agreeableness is not a particularly useful trait in competitive environments. The status quo has a tremendous amount of inertia, and Jobs pushed people to change it, something most people are unwilling to do or even imagine it can be done.

Every villain is the hero of his or her story, and I'm sure in Jobs' mind his bad behavior was less important than the final outcome--the creation of innovative products that improved people's lives.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread