In his own words... (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 06, 2018, 23:28 (2264 days ago) @ slycrel

Instagram photo by Musk himself

... including commentary.

I'm not here to change opinions... just to point out that it only took me 60 seconds to find this on the internet. Surely we can dig even further if we really wanted to know why... right?

I mean, sure, I've seen that. I follow the dude on instagram. What does that statement change?

He sent a Tesla because it's "fun"? I actually completely reject that notion. I don't find that particularly fun at all, even without all the baggage that goes along with it. Sending a Tesla to space, whether his personal out-dated one or a shiny new Model S, is a statement, a statement that is independent of the actual words he says. Actions speak louder than words and all that.

I'm not even saying that it's some nefarious marketing ploy dreamed up by Elon Musk to promote his car company. It really could be nothing more than him sending a personal memento into space, something he thinks is fun and neat. But the fact is, no matter what his intentions were, it ends up being a marketing stunt for Tesla in all actuality. Tesla will always be mentioned when we talk about space flight. The footage of a Tesla roadster flying through space will probably be historic. Kids 50 years from now will see that footage in school.

It's not necessarily an awful thing, but I don't think it's good. I can't really explain very well, I can only say it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Maybe I am too negative and cynical, but it reads like Musk trying to "feel" like a fun guy, sending his personal car into space, never to be seen or driven again. It's marketing 101--make people feel good about your brand. Elon Musk's brand is himself, and that extends to his companies--it feels like him just trying to make people feel good, and using the absolutely stunning and historic launch to also allow his car brand with an at least somewhat dubious history ride the coattails.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread