THE ENEMY. (Gaming)

by ncsuDuncan @, Sunday, September 15, 2013, 14:19 (3875 days ago) @ uberfoop

It's more feature-rich because it has motion sensors and pressure-sensitive buttons.

I own both systems, but do most of my gaming on the 360. What PS3 games have made a compelling argument for including the motion sensor and pressure-senstivity features? Honest question. MGS4, maybe? (I never played it.)

As for build quality? I'm not saying the DS3 has Gamecube-tier build quality, but being even half-competent already puts you leaps and bounds above most of what Microsoft makes. The controller feels solid and is tightly constructed, with precisely-sized external components. Everything on it seems to be working as intended.
By contrast, of the four 360 controllers I've purchased this gen, two have been defective in very significant ways. One has a massive, lopsided dead zone on the right analogue stick and a minor case of slow turn; the other had a really nasty case of slow turn. The latter of those I was able to repair into a perfectly acceptable state, but I really feel like I shouldn't have to spend over an hour hacking away at a plastic front plate to make a controller useable. The dead zone issue is probably fairly rare, but slow turn is absolutely not, because Microsoft can't consistently produce correctly-sized pieces of plastic.

Maybe I'm an exception, but I've been very happy with my 360 controllers. I might not be pro enough to recognize a slow turn problem though.

Still, I have to disagree with you about the DS3 controller feeling "solid and tightly constructed". To me, it feels like a cheap plastic shell that I could snap in two if I twisted my hands hard enough. The two halves of the body creak when you put pressure on them. The 360 controller is the one I'd describe as a solid and tightly constructed whole; it's much more ergonomic too.

I suppose it just comes down to personal preference and opinions though.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread