THE ENEMY. (Gaming)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, September 16, 2013, 11:36 (3867 days ago) @ uberfoop

Well, I've been acclimating to the controller somewhat easier than I expected. And although I think I prefer the overall ergonomic design of the 360 controller, the DS3 seems to have some advantages. It's more feature-rich, and has astronomically superior build quality.

360 definitely has a better feel. Not sure if I'd agree on the build quality, I think the DS3 feels a bit flimsy. Granted, I have gone through 3 or 4 360 controllers and still have my original DS3, but that could be due to how much more time I spend on the 360. Side note: one of the things I like most about the PS4 is how much they've apparently designed the controller to be like a 360's. Some might call it copycatting, I just think Sony figured out what their old design was lacking and fixed it. There's no shame in that.

I got a Gran Turismo 5 bundle because I felt obligated to try a racing sim at some point. After trying GT5... well, let's just say I've had to cleanse my pallete by firing up the oXbox and playing some Rallisport Challenge. Why anyone wants to play this lethargic realism is beyond me. It's not that there's nothing to playing it, or that it's too easy, because that's totally not the case. It's just... it just doesn't feel good at all.

As a big fan of racing sims, I think the hitch is that you have to be really into the nuances of driving and vehicle dynamics to enjoy them. Precisely controlling throttle to get (or reduce) wheelspin, trail-braking into a corner to shift weight onto the front tires, these are the things sim-drivers live for. Sims don't really give the same experience that most action (or even non-sim driving) video games are going for. If you're not into that, racing sims are probably not going to be very gratifying. And no, they're definitely not easy. Learning to get a car around a corner properly is extremely hard, and probably off-putting unless you're very interested in the topic.

Having said that, I still maintain that Rallisport Challenge 2 is the greatest rally game ever created. The lack of 360 BC for that game is a major sore point for me. Not sure if you play that one or RalliSport Challenge 1 (which is also a great game).

Infamous 2? Also came with the console, haven't tried it yet.

Not sure about 2, but I played the original and enjoyed it a lot. Thinking back, in some ways it reminds me of Just Cause 2 - large open world, huge freedom of movement, satisfying combat, and somewhat repetitive side missions.

In the ICO/SOTV collection, all I've done is a brief splash of SOTC. First impression is that the controls are awful, although I was fine with the horse controls that apparantly infuriate some people. I'm going to keep my mind open here and give it some more chances, because I feel like I'm just not "getting it" yet.

Probably. I actually felt like the controls were pretty solid once you get used to them. Maybe try playing Ico first to get used to the movement style?

There was more to your message, but I have no knowledge of those last 3 games, so I'll end here.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread