…aaaaand returned (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, April 09, 2018, 16:48 (2209 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Korny, Monday, April 09, 2018, 17:35

So it turns out the switch a piece of garbage (my opinion). I opened two games, Mario and Zelda. Thankfully I didn't open them all, because I can return the others. Traded Mario and Zelda back, so I'm really only out 30 bucks.

Did you at least lick the games?
Lick the games.

Mario Odyssey is not fun. I was not a fan of Mario 64, but everyone raved about this one. I found it dull and repetitive, spoon fed around your abilities. Should have seen that coming.

Any time that you see a review for a Nintendo product, remember that it will never be seen through the lens of "normal adults". Those games are on a separate scale. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Pokémon, etc., on a normal scoreboard, they tend to skew towards mediocre with a neat, fun gimmick. But for the fanboys who have grown up with those franchises, they are all masterpieces no matter what.
Gotta set your expectations a little lower with Nintendo. Remember that their games are made to appeal to little kids first and foremost.

Zelda was better and had some potential, but the switch controllers are really really bad. So bad, it makes any game basically unplayable. Small. Cheap. The buttons suck. So do the sticks. They aren't really even sticks but nubs. The d-pad isn't a d-pad but FOUR DISTINCT BUTTONS making it absolutely useless for its purpose. Awkward when separated. Awkward when put on the controller accessory (which by the way, prevents them from charging!). The pro controller looks like it won't suck, but I shouldn't have to spend 60 bucks to make the system playable.

Yeah, the Switch and the Xbone have that in common. The controllers are bad, but when you bring it up, it's all "I use the Elite/Pro controller, and it's great! Durrrr!"
But it'd be dumb to be shelling out for a on overpriced "premium" controller that performs worse than the one that comes with the console, which shouldn't be crappy. If you're tacking on the price of the extra stuff, then you're being nickel & dimed.

That said, the Joycons aren't THAT bad, unless you're playing anything that requires precision. And of course Nintendo will throw in their gimmicks to make you feel like you're more involved.

Zero interest in playing on anything other than a TV, especially since undocking requires you to play with the shitty joy cons.

I mean, that's the Switch's shtick . It's a glorified Wii U with more portability. What were you really expecting?

Downloaded dishonored on Steam instead. Stay tuned.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread