on controllers (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 16, 2018, 15:19 (2195 days ago) @ kidtsunami

You're just re-iterating the point you already made without backing it up with anything other than anecdotes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ah, ok. Here is where you can find more info on the thumbstick drifting problem.

Ah, got it. Googling things is hardly a scientific way of assessing public sentiment. Also, do you just enjoy being a troll?

And here is a page that details some of the issues that Microsoft addressed. It's a fluff page, but it acknowledges the bumper fixes.

Yeah it's cool that Microsoft updated the controller to make the bumpers better and add that headset jack (which I really appreciated, I wondered why they didn't just have in the first place like the DS4). By the way, the DS4 got an update as well, but I can't imagine a universe where I would have slid into a thread about the Switch to complain that the original DS4 ONLY worked over bluetooth just like the joy cons and introduced dreaded input lag into my gaming...

The controller itself also suffers from connection issues (which can pop up at unfortunate times), there are longstanding issues with headsets connecting to the controller (and causing echoes)... I mean, sure, you can fanboy this all as "super rare anecdotal" stuff, but it's always been pretty common. If you want to Kermit it as "I never had an issue, so there's no issue", it's fine, but a simple, quick google shows that these issues aren't isolated, and have in some cases, been acknowledged by MS and fixed... Although, as the Halo World Championships this weekend showed, there are some that remain.

I'm not saying these issues don't exist (they obviously do, that HWC instance is egregious), I'm arguing that you're exaggerating issues in an inflammatory fashion in a barely relevant context. I'll always come back to the fact that you rail against fanboys while constantly fanning the flames of console vs console arguments is indicative that you're either a massive troll or a misguided fanboy yourself.

Korny's trolling aside, complaints about the Xbox one controller were fairly widespread. Plenty of people loved the controller as-is, but there were common problems and complaints about it, both in terms of how it compared to the Dual Shock 4 as well as to the 360 controller.

Back when I was hosting the Ready up Live podcast, all my co-hosts were huge Xbox fans (as was I)... I was actually the only one on the Podcast who had a PS4 at the time. But none of us thought the controller was as good as the 360 controller, and that was the common consensus on the RUL forums as well. Depending on where your fingers happened to land on the bumpers, they simply wouldn't work. Not everyone would have that problem, but just about nobody ever had that problem with the 360 or PS4 controllers. The disconnect issue still seems to happen frequently enough to be worthy of mentioning (I know my Elite randomly disconnects 2 or 3 times per week... not terrible, but again, its something that never happens with my PS4 or 360 controllers). I've also heard Korny's complaint about the "cheap feel" from quite a few sources. I happen to feel the same way.

None of this is to say that the original Xbox One controllers were bad, but I do think it is fair to say that they were a mixed bag; some improvements, some sideways moves, and some problems. Meanwhile, the Dualshock 4 was a pretty big home run for Sony. I wouldn't say its perfect (the stick placement is still considered by most to be a step down from Xbox's offset stick layout, and the battery life leaves something to be desired). Personally speaking, I put it right on par with my Xbox Elite controller. The Elite controller is great too, but the disconnect issue sucks. I personally find it a little too heavy, as well.

Long story short, I think both Playstation and Xbox offer great controllers now. But there were enough substantial problems with the Xbox One controller at launch as to necessitate several updates and improvements, which is the kind of cost you only see when a hardware maker sees the problems as serious.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread