on controllers (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, April 16, 2018, 09:53 (2196 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Yeah, the Switch and the Xbone have that in common. The controllers are bad, but when you bring it up, it's all "I use the Elite/Pro controller, and it's great! Durrrr!"
But it'd be dumb to be shelling out for a on overpriced "premium" controller that performs worse than the one that comes with the console, which shouldn't be crappy. If you're tacking on the price of the extra stuff, then you're being nickel & dimed.

I've got a PS4, XB1, and a Switch. I didn't realize that the XB1 regular controllers were considered "bad" in comparison to the PS4 ones. I was under the impression that people largely had a preference related to hand size and the types of games they play, not general quality of the pad.

The XB1 controllers were considered bad even in comparison to 360 controllers. The bumpers sucked, and Microsoft had to address it by redesigning them. They're also cheap-feeling and break easily (when I bought an Xbone, the controller that came with it was broken within a few months. My brother's current controller works fine, but it's got the old bumper design).

And while the thumbsticks themselves are probably the best thumbsticks on the market, the mechanism that they're attached to is flimsy, and messes up easily (causing the controller to drift, or in my case, jam completely when I aim in certain directions). If you play a game where you have to spam the bumpers, the loud, stiff clicking gets old quick, and at least in my case, the rumble is even worse. I think it's just the controller that I use being weird, but the rumble is obnoxious and loud. Something might be loose in there (controller rattles when I shake it).

It should be telling when they released an "Elite" controller, and people praise how much better it is all around, instead of just "it has paddles".

As far as "preference", while I do prefer the Xbone controller for something like Titanfall 2, most of the time my hands are more comfortable with a DS4, which I always thought was funny, since the DS3 was easily one of the most uncomfortable controllers ever made.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread