Exploiting & Enjoying Renown (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Sunday, June 10, 2018, 06:24 (2146 days ago) @ Xenos

If you had no renown you could clear a lost sector for someone who had 5 without them having to take their time through the Lost Sector. Don't know how many people would be willing to do that for someone else for basically nothing, but it could be considered a way to cheat the system. And the higher the cap was the worse this workaround would get.

This works, did it the other day. Go into a LS with a mixed Renown group. The player with zero renown goes in and tears up the entire sector as usual; the renown 5 player goes in at the end and loots the chest.

Then you swap.

I have to admit, though, I only even thought of doing this because renown was completely wrecking me the first day I played with it on-- because I had a leftover quest to get Valkyrie kills on Mars and I was attempting to do it during EP and public events with renown stacking, and I was getting killed before I could get a single kill. It was annoying.

I was on a character that hadn't pledged-- but pledges are now account wide. I know why and I even agree with it, but this really meant I should have put that quest off until the Rally was over, and I had not thought that through, so it made playing very annoying until that was over.

Once off Mars, though... I started to enjoy doing a slow creep through Sectors. I don't like speedrunning, generally, so renown encourages a play style I already like. And unlike the chaotic public space on Mars with EP going on, enemies in sectors are basically territorial and defensive, so you can always retreat to safety before proceeding-- how aggressive you play is entirely up to you.

All the public spaces are more ordered than Mars because of EP, so they are far more manageable-- but it also does mean that you have to think about routes you take through the space, and whether you want to take on or avoid that yellow bar VIP enemy that's standing between you and the Sector you want to loot at renown 5.

So finally yes, Renown in lost sectors is easy to exploit but the exploit is probably not really worth it, as it means spending 2x the time for two players getting the same reward. If there's a player who really wants the reward but is struggling with finishing a sector solo, you can always do this.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread