History of Power Levels (Criticism)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 25, 2018, 16:22 (2108 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Sorry. That’s might fault, my post was poorly constructed.

The ridiculous bit was that last paragraph, which as good an example of pseudo-intellectual horseshit and trying to talk past the actual point as I’ve ever seen.

The second part of my post is a separate thought from that, and a poor attempt to rephrase the real point. If Cody’s argument is that character levels are an abstraction of actions player don’t physically execute, playing Destiny is just as far away from firing a gun or bow than rolling dice is from swinging a sword. Which is all to say that if character level is an abstraction of character improvement, then power level isn’t completely worthless in representing that growth for our Destiny characters either. I’m not necessarily sure I buy that—I think Destiny would have to lean much harder into its RPG aspects for that to be a really compelling argument, but that argument does follow from what Cody is saying.

Yes. My point was that the idea of 'level' is meant to create avatar improvement, since there is no possibility of PLAYER improvement for those actions.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread