Heroes with guns? Okay. But not like this. (Destiny)

by ncsuDuncan @, Monday, September 30, 2013, 19:12 (3861 days ago) @ Hedge

[image]

Yes, I prefer the placeholder box art, but I'm already sold on the game - I understand why publishers want "heroes with guns" on the cover. To me, Ken Levine already won that argument.

I even understand the desire to have the Guardians facing away from us - there is no Master Chief in Destiny. We create our own characters, so it doesn't make sense for the box art to focus on "Potential Player Character #49".

I'm very disappointed in the execution of those two ideas though. Here's why:

-------
Brand Confusion: The most obvious issue has already been brought up, but just to reiterate - are we sure that isn't Master Chief on the cover? I don't know which is worse, that something so obvious slipped past quality control or that it's intentional. I'll give Bungie the benefit of the doubt and assume this image came from someone that was too busy making awesome art to stop and watch the Halo 5 teaser.

Backwards-Compatibility: This goes with the last point, but that Hunter's pose is really unfortunate. Figuring out what direction this character is facing shouldn't require a careful inspection of his pistol grip. The helmet design and neutral stance aren't helping, nor is the fact that the cape completely obscures the left forearm.

Inconsistent Clip-art: I like the Warlock and Titan drawings. They look great and the artistic skill on display is top-notch. What I don't like is that the Traveler is done in a completely different art style - it makes the entire image look like a fan-made photoshop cut together from multiple sources.

Side note: I think the Traveler is the most iconic image from Destiny thus far, yet it's barely recognizable in this cover. :(

The three characters don't look like they're inhabiting the same space, and they certainly don't look like they're standing beneath the Traveler. Even Halo: Combat Evolved's box art did a better job of hiding the fact that it's a collage of independent art assets. I want something like Halo 2, 3, ODST, and Reach, where each cover looked like one cohesive piece of art.

Too much contrast: Are the Guardians walking into a foggy cloud? Why is a cape the most prominent object in the image?

Not enough contrast: This is perhaps my biggest personal gripe, because it's something so simple: the "DESTINY" text could really use a drop shadow or outer glow - anything to make it stand out from the cluttered high-contrast background. The "E" disappears into the fog, the "S" melts into the cape, while the "N" looks like it could be part of the Hunter's elbow.

-------
Just my two cents. I know someone put a lot of work into creating this cover art, but I'll respectfully hold out hope for a different image on whatever limited edition box Destiny offers.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread