Stop. (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 12:48 (2004 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It was reasonably expected of actresses to sleep with directors and producers back in old Hollywood. So that should continue just because that's the way it is?

What if what's reasonably expected of you is not so reasonable?

Really? You think these being forced to sleep with someone is the same as staying late to meet a deadline? That these are at all comparable?

No, and that's not even close to what I was saying…

Your principle of 'do what they want you to do and if you don't like it gtfo' is why stuff like that was / is a thing.

Well... if people choose to do it...

I’m not AT ALL defending immoral/exploitive actions. But nobody’s life depends on being an actor, nor does it depend on working in the games industry (the actor thing is actually a bit murkier, because there are occasionally people who have virtually nothing but manage to turn their lives around through talent as an actor... but to work in gaming absolutely requires specific training in a technical skill, and almost none of those skills are exclusively useful in the industry).

At the end of the day, I can’t control whether or not other people are skumbags. What I can control is my own behaviour and decisions when I come face to face with scumbags. Part of the reason all that creepy stuff has gone on in Hollywood for so long is that there are too many people willing to go along with it. If more people had said “no, I won’t do that”, then those creeps would have been SOL (and in case it needs to be said, I’m clearly not referring to those who forced anyone into any situation directly against their will). With the games industry, there are too many people who have put themselves in the mindset that they MUST work in games, as if their lives depend on it. They have a talent and passion for it, and downplay in their own mind the working conditions that LITERALLY EVERYONE remotely involved knows about. If more people were willing to say “no, I won’t work for a company that does that”, THEN the studios would be forced to change and treat employees better.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread