How is RDR2 so far? (Gaming)

by Funkmon @, Friday, October 26, 2018, 14:14 (2008 days ago) @ TheeChaos
edited by Funkmon, Friday, October 26, 2018, 14:23

Story is good so far. You're an outlaw in a gang of outlaws, lead by a relatively nice outlaw feller.

The world is immersive, but it's still the same GTA3 format we have been playing for nearly 20 years. Open world, steal horses and kill dudes, get wanted, evade the cops, go to a big F on the map for Frank's missions, which launches a small standalone cutscene and a minor story which has humourous and dramatic elements. You shoot the same as you always shoot.

You still have to go to an ammunation or whatever for bullets and shit, the store for other stuff.

As for eating: it so far doesn't matter much. It says it does, but I don't do it very often. I sleep when I want to go to the bathroom or grab a drink. If I didn't eat or sleep basically nothing happens.

There was one point when I had a 2 hour long phone call, and just parked my guy on top of a train and didn't eat or sleep for like 5 game days. I then completed a mission; no major effect.

You really do feel like an outlaw. One of the first things you do is rob a train, which is totally boss, and you get a choice on whether to spare the witnesses or threaten them or kill em. I shot em all because we were trying to lay low.

Lots of good fun in the game. Killing dudes after ambushing their hideouts and stuff. It's easy as butts, like most GTA games, but stupid behaviour will get you wasted.

It's a game that's so fun, you WANT to do the extra stuff just to stretch it out. I want to hunt the bear, not for any reason other than viciously murdering and butchering one of God's creatures, and to maybe spend more time with the game. I almost never feel this way about a game.

Bias: I love westerns and cowboys and shit.

EDIT: I will say the prologue is more boring than it is fun. Lots of tutorial, slogging through oppressive forests and waist deep snow with more story than fun. I actually don't know how they left that thing in because I was considering it a 7.5/10 game with a low mark being the plodding pacing and few and far between moments of fun.

The very moment the prologue is done and you set up camp in the real world, it's right up to 9-10/10. Fun wherever you want it, however you want it. The prologue is just much more dull. Bad first impression, but if you get through the first few hours (!) you'll love the game.

By the way, this isn't the acquired taste thing of Destiny, where if you buy into the systems it's fun. It's more like, if you wait in this 1 minute line, you get to ride Pirates of the Caribbean. Except Pirates is 35 minutes long. So it's really almost nothing in the grand scheme of things. That's why the reviewers love the game and initial reactions are sometimes tepid. They think the line is the game.

But again, why the hell would Rockstar leave that line in?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread