yeah, sorry (Gaming)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, October 26, 2018, 12:48 (2008 days ago) @ Kermit

Similarly, in my experience coding is the type of work where more can be done during sustained periods of focus than when you break it up. I suspect if crunch didn’t exist, some would do it anyway.

I write hot garbage if I code for longer than 6 hours a day. I've worked 80-120 weeks before and looking back on it, it was such a mistake.

In the past 4-5 years I've focused on managing my hours, estimating appropriately, communicating effectively with stakeholders, and taking care of myself. My code has become easier to maintain and I no longer have nightmares about late night emergencies.

The myth that a bunch of exhausted coders would somehow out perform healthy alert coders is one of the oddest things ingrained in our society.

I'm not meaning to evoke some myth about exhausted coders outperforming rested coders (a myth I've never heard of).

I'm referring to the fact that when I've worked on coding problems, often I've realized it would take me more time to get back into the headspace I'm in, where all the variables are clearly visualized, than it would to continue working until I've figured out the problem.

Conversely, and in support of your point, there are those mornings where you wake up after a good night's sleep with the solution fully formed, as if you'd dreamt it.

I took what you said and expanded/twisted it. You got STRAWMANNED!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread