Stop. (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 13:41 (2010 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So many people want to work in games (or movies), that there is always someone out there who will put up with more than you. So take a stand, and you’re out on your ass and replaced. Unless of course it is part of a larger organized push, which is what both boycotts and collective bargaining allow.

True, and that's exactly the reason why the games industry has gotten away with it for a little while. But, like every industry, experience is valuable. And studios that are able to keep their most talented developers over the long term are stronger and ultimately more profitable. I agree that taking a stand as a group may be what is needed in order to force change more quickly. That's why I'm potentially in favor of some kind of union. I have my reservations about unions in general, but at least it would be a path that the developers themselves can take to give themselves more leverage in negotiating with the studios.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread