Stop. (Gaming)

by EffortlessFury @, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 13:48 (1981 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I just don't like that line of reasoning. It's really close to victim blaming.

This is absolutely, in no way, "victim blaming". Somebody walking down the street who gets ambushed is a victim. A free adult who goes to school, applies to a bunch of companies, goes off to an interview, accepts a job, all the while knowing full well that the company and the industry at large routinely overwork their employees is NOT a victim in any way, shape, or form.

You can like a job and love the work you do at that job, while also acknowledging the exploitative labor practices and wanting to push things forward towards positive change. "This is just how it's always been" and "if you don't like it, leave," are extremely shitty and unhelpful lines of reasoning that just allow these companies to continue getting away this horseshit.

No. It's not about letting them get away with it, its about realizing that the people who willingly choose to work in the industry are equally responsible for creating a solution. Screaming for other people (customers or the government) to step forward and force studios to change is not the right way to go. Employment is a 2-way relationship. Developers are not captive. They entered this relationship willingly. It is ultimately up to them to change the nature of that relationship if they are unhappy with it (and again, I fully agree that they are being treared unfairly).

I think we both want the same thing here. I'm just pointing out that people have individual responsibilities when it comes to the relationships they choose to enter.

In the world that exists today, there are rarely any systems in place that aren't abusing people. The type of choice you believe exists is mostly an illusion. Right now, workers are less valuable than employers. You can choose to go into an industry that doesn't, but you might hate it, and that's not your fault but still your burden to bear? Sounds to me like there's one side of this equation with a win-win and the other with a lose-lose.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread