How is RDR2 so far? (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 29, 2018, 17:42 (1999 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Just wanted your guys input after seeing all this discussion. Sure there are other reviews, but I like to hear your guys perspective on things.

Graphics look sweet, but hows the story?

I'm still early. It's good so far. Interesting. I want to see where it goes. Arthur Morgan (the character you play) doesn't have a whole lot going yet. There are hints all over that he's questioning the sort of life he's leading. We'll see if that goes anywhere.

Dutch is a really interesting character. His voice actor is great and plays him perfectly. He's super compelling as a charismatic leader of this gang that feel like they're mostly doing right by people and just searching for the promise of freedom.

Is eating/gathering getting in the way of you having a good time?

It doesn't really seem super necessary, so no. But, even if it was, I don't think it would, personally. I am really enjoying engaging with those systems. I love hunting and fishing, and the fact that you are doing those things to provide food for your camp makes it compelling in a way that it hasn't been in most other games (Like Far Cry or the recent Assassin's Creed games).

I like spending time in camp, sitting by the camp fire, chatting with the gang members, listening to people sing or just talk.

I am really loving the slower pace of this game. Getting around the world is like 90% of the game. It's a lot of long rides through pretty country, and I love it. I think a lot of folks are going to be put off by that stuff--it's a game that refuses to get out of it's own way. More than most other games, it demands to be played at its pace, and if you fight that, I imagine it will get very frustrating very quickly.

Do you feel like an outlaw?

Absolutely. I don't know how much it really matters in the end, but they set it up well enough to make it feel like it's necessary to sort of lay low and avoid being witness doing bad things. It seems like as the game goes on, you can ignore that stuff more and more, but early there is definitely a tension there, even if it's ultimately a sort of fake one.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread