Overwork (Gaming)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, October 26, 2018, 09:14 (1980 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Any interest I had in Red Dead II was killed when the 100 hour story came out, and their PR mitigation was contradicted by accounts.

This is a problem in the film industry as well, and why we fought so hard for reasonable turn around times with IATSE's new basic contract negotiation. This stuff literally kills people and shortens lives.

The only way this will change is if developers unionize, or if people stop buying the games of abusive studios. Clearly people don't care (Detroit was Quantic Dream's fastest selling game), but I do ask anyone here to consider not supporting this type of behavior in the industry.

I realize it's hard to know exactly which TV shows, Films, and Games rely on abusive work hours. But if you do read or hear something, please do not simply ignore it. Your life will go on without one piece of entertainment, and you may help in a small way to make other's lives better.

I agree completely.

I don't think not buying RDR2 really helps anybody. I think it's probably going to be profitable no matter what.

The only thing that can be done is to encourage the actual creators-- the artists, designers, programmers, engineers, animators, testers, VO and mocap actors, rather than publishers and shareholders of developers and publishers, to unionize so we can have a more reasonable assurance that our money is going towards the people who actually make the things we enjoy.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread