Oners (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 10, 2019, 17:35 (1775 days ago) @ Korny

God Of War did their entire game in “one shot,” if you ignore going into menus.

It’s neat, but it absolutely doesn’t seem worth all the extra work they talk about having to do to make it happen. In fact, if they hadn’t heavily marketed that aspect, I suspect wouldn’t have noticed.

I mean… you're eliminating a really powerful tool (the cut) when you do it for everything.

That can be the case, but I feel like oners have a strength for mood. In the Halo trailer, it's to highlight the slowness of the scene's pace, and the claustrophobic nature of the interior.

The Halo trailer did it well… they knew when to hold vs where to cut. MGS V is infuriating because there is no sense of when to cut.

Actually, if you think about it, God of War is (as weird as it is to say) a collection of oners linked together by a lack of cuts. The pacing between is generally excellent, and the camera work becomes very involved in the cinematography of the scenes (unlike say, Dead Space, where it's always passively over Isaac's shoulder).

I haven't played God of War, and I probably won't, but I am curious. I could always watch videos.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread