Oners (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, June 10, 2019, 17:57 (1775 days ago) @ Korny

Actually, if you think about it, God of War is (as weird as it is to say) a collection of oners linked together by a lack of cuts. The pacing between is generally excellent, and the camera work becomes very involved in the cinematography of the scenes (unlike say, Dead Space, where it's always passively over Isaac's shoulder).

I've been seeing these long takes more and more in gaming (Uncharted 4 was loaded with them, but because there were so many "normal" cutscenes, and so many flow seamlessly between gameplay and cutscene, it may be easy to miss).

That's the thing--I appreciate the long takes, and God of War does that very well, and it's immediately noticeable. I guess calling the entire game a single take seems a little silly. 90% of every game is a single take, since you're just playing the game. There's also dying as the player which makes it not a single shot at all. It was just a weird thing to hype up, I think.

It's really the transition in and out of cutscenes that make it stand out, and God of War excelled at that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread