Legacy (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 11:25 (1751 days ago) @ ManKitten

I came across a video recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6nZPrMSu0w

Not having played the PC version of Halo 1, I did always wonder why the game seemed flat on MCC, and remember reading it was a shader issue because the Xbox's GPU was custom and couldn't be duplicated. But it's apparently not. It's just a flat out mistake. Look at all of the graphical issues in the game that make the MCC version look worse than the original.

Remakes and remasters are supposed to improve or at least match the visual fidelity of the originals. I guess the MCC actually makes the original look worse. That's… very upsetting. I can see a generation of folks who go back to play Halo, only to see a version that is worse than what they would have had if they had played the original.

This is not something I expected from a company who loves Halo and holds Bungie in high regard. The MCC is how many people will experience Halo for the first time. It is most definitely tarnishing the legacy of the original game.

Part of me wonders if they don't care to fix these issues because the new games will look so much better by comparison, benefiting them.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread