The bar where nobody knows your name... (Destiny)

by nico, Saturday, August 10, 2019, 06:05 (1718 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by nico, Saturday, August 10, 2019, 06:10

The visual appeal of the "riches to rags" armor last year compelled me to get it on three characters, which in retrospect was a bad idea:

For the first time I played the game and really didn't enjoy it -- chasing the rewards rather than the game itself. As you've mentioned, Solstice is supposed to be a celebration of accomplishments, and it just felt punishing.

By the time it was over, my hands hurt, but I was glad to have the "riches to rags" armor with the cool glows.

I don't think it would have been very difficult for the armor to have been kept more current, and it made me sad that no effort was made to do so -- even entering this year's Solstice. It's like being a regular customer at a bar where no one knows your name.

This year, I've got blue armor on one character that I'll be deleting when I log in next -- I really want to love this game and enjoy playing it with friends, but this "celebration" nearly had me quit last year -- I went from three characters to one, logging in once a week to raid.

What's a bit disappointing is that Bungie is excellent at leveraging nostalgia -- think back on launching D2, with all those cool stat screens and screenshots.

Solstice is a wonderful concept that could (and should) reward with a reflection on things you've done, and maybe a keepsake and cool armor that reflects on those first moments of playing D2.

Instead, I felt like Bart Simpson writing on the chalkboard.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread