Right on the Money w/ Addendom (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, May 16, 2020, 17:39 (1411 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

...I realized that the D1 I wanted to go back to doesn’t actually exist anymore. Many of the pieces of gear that I remember fondly are gone from my vault, and in their place is a whole collection of mediocre guns that I didn’t even remember existing, which I’d prioritized due to their light level.

This issue extends down into sandbox tuning as well. Using Fatebringer in D1 today isn’t as fun as using Fatebringer in D1Y1 because of the changes that Bungie made to hand cannons over the span of the game. I’m generally in favour of ongoing balance tweaks if they are done with the intention of moving closer and closer to a final conceptual state; a “feel” that the designers were aiming for from the start. But that doesn’t feel like the arch that Destiny is on. To me, it feels more like Tinkering for the sake of tinkering. The game isn’t really any more balanced or refined than it was 5 years ago. They just keep changing things for the sake of changing things. And this has created a situation kinda like George Lucas continuously messing with the Original Trilogy; whatever version of Destiny you prefer, it no longer exists. We might all disagree on which year or season had the most enjoyable sandbox, but most of us are in the same boat; our favourite version of Destiny is already gone, and won’t come back. And for the few players who prefer Destiny as it is right now, they just have to wait until the next update... then they’ll be in the same boat as the rest of us.

Just a observation. No real big point to give here. I guess, I'm just over here blogging a meandering mind.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In one of my points which I was trying to extrapolate from in my post/eventual rant, the changing nature - the live game - is something many of us are not accustomed to. For many of us the gameplay loop is; start with nothing -> slowly build to -> full capacity of (be it all or most) kit/perks/powers/upgrades/whatever the game has to offer. As we build in capability, we change how we play the game as the new variables reveal themselves (unless it's Skyrim where all roads invariably lead to stealth archer :P). That, more or less is a fair share of gameplay out there. Mass Effect, Bioshock, Vanquish, Assassins Creed, Titanfall 2, Control... It's rather ubiquitous. And for good reason, it's fun! The system works. And in all of these cases, I can go back and play them as they were, or often with less bugs or more features added post launch.

Then there is World of Warcraft. Again, I've never played it. But, in reading this post, I couldn't help but think about "World of Warcraft Classic". Should we have a Destiny 1 Classic? As I recall, Destiny 1 (once you got through the little content we had), was AWFUL! I recall that as I skipped the launch of Taken King because the ... O_O ... it's easier just to say "Bungie" just kept fumbling so much on everything that I felt a need to write a dam'd dissertation to understand WTF was going on about Year 1. The Taken King was what "Saved" Destiny 1. Is that what you want to go back to?

And yes I know. At first, Destiny has the same loop. It's the loop AFTER that one where everything just keeps getting flipped all topsy-turvy.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread