Right on the Money w/ Addendom (Destiny)

by Robot Chickens, Saturday, May 16, 2020, 22:19 (1412 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

TTK saved the story and loot chasing mechanics.

TTK ruined the sandbox balance. It was perfect in Y1 HoW.

I’m inclined to agree, but this just illustrates what is so strange about this whole situation. D1 was in rough shape in year 1. One could argue that it was on life support. And yet, the D1 that lives in my memory, the game I would want to go back to from time to time, is HoW era D1. My Warlock in full VoG armour, with Fatebringer/Black Hammer/Gjallarhorn being my default loadout, and a full set of VoG weapons in reserve. My Titan wearing a full set of that gorgeous D1Y1 Iron Banner armour and IB weapons, and my Hunter wearing Trials armour and using a complete set of Trials adept weapons. From a “controller in my hands”, “feel of the game” point of view, that was absolute prime D1 for me. And while Taken King and other updates improved many areas of the game (I still think Taken King’s roadmap of Story Missions leading into Open World Exploration which then branches out into a whole web of Strikes and Sidequests which all build and culminate in the Raid was near perfect, and they haven’t really nailed it since), Taken King was also the moment when I first felt like part of what I already loved about Destiny was taken away, and it’s never quite returned.

This sums up my feelings pretty perfectly.

I now have a similar feeling about D2 as well. For me, despite all the problems that existed at the time, D2 was at its most fun for me just over a year ago (season of the Drifter era). That’s when combat in the game was as fun as it’s ever been, IMO. And then the parade of nerfs started to hit. Season of Opulance had some really cool stuff, but I was once again experiencing that feeling of loss within the game. Like what made it special had been intentionally stripped away, and it’s been a near-vertical downhill slide since then.

I mostly agree with you. I actually really liked the Moon. If it had been that without the seasonal BS and nerfs, I think that this year could have been good.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread